The remote beginnings of the Province: France – Italy
The remote origin of the Province is blended with the one of the Institute which was born in France. During the life of the Founder, and after his death until the expulsion of the Brothers in 1903, in France they were opened more than 200 houses, some of them with a short life. Their existence was linked to the parish service which sometimes was of brief duration. In 1903 the Brothers are expelled from France. They find refuge in Tunisia (1902-1921), in Italy (1903 …) and soon after in Spain (1909 …). The General Administration was moved to Villa Brea (Chieri-Turin). In Villa Brea it is opened an Aspirancy and Postulancy for the youth coming from France, and the Novitiate with young from France, to which they join young coming from Spain, and from 1929 also from Italy.
Itinerary of creation of a Province
In 1923 the Institute is subdivided in two Provinces: The Province of Europe and the Province of South America. In 1939 the historical events and the imminence of the World War II oblige the General Administration to come back to Belley. In France it is opened the Aspirancy of Tessy and the Novitiate of Belley. In 1947 in Europe the Brothers are subdivided in two groups: the Province of France-Italy and the Vice-Province of Spain. In 1959 there is a new organization: The Province of France with the name of “Sacré-Cœur”, the Vice-Province of Italy with the name of “Madonna di Loreto” and the Province of Spain with the name of “Nuestra Señora de la Asunción”.
The constitution of the Province
In the period preceding the Vatican Council II in France and Italy the vocations allowed to look with confidence the future of the two Provinces. In the post-Council the number of vocations starts diminishing, first in France and later on in Italy. In 1983 the General Council asks the Provinces to open houses outside their usual territory. To France is entrusted the mission of Alto Volta (today Burkina Faso) with the collaboration of Brothers from France, Italy and Spain. The Province of Italy opens and founds in Mexico in 1987 the first community. At present the decrease of the vocations in France, in Italy and the little growth in Mexico have led to a reduction of personnel, so that, in August 2010 the Province of Sacred Heart and Our Lady of Loreto have joined under the patronage of Our Lady of Loreto. The election of the patronage is due to the great meaning the Sanctuary of Loreto has for the Institute.
Facing the new challenges
The growth of the age of the Brothers and the real reduction of the personnel in the mission of the Province oblige to re-consider the meaning of the presence, the work and the testimony of the Brothers in France, Italy and Mexico. In France, there are the roots of our Institute. For that, in Belley it is the “Mother House”, and the whole Institute is invited to collaborate to maintain it alive and meaningful. Ars is another centre full of history and presence for the Institute. For this house, the help of collaboration of the Brothers of Burkina Faso is requested. Villa Brea, significant for the Province and for the Institute, is being reorganized. In Mexico there is a great effort in the work of apostolate and in the vocation promotion. We do not know what the Providence is reserving for us, but where we are, we know that we have to be the seed of a new life.
The apostolic activity in the Province finds its major expression in the field of the education in the school, such as the educational centres of Tijuana, Lyon, Dagneux and Turin. There are also several Brothers who work in education but in external ambiences and works. It is sought a growing collaboration with the lay people. It is very important considered the missionary activity and the liturgical and spiritual animation. Despite the limitation of the personnel, the presence of the Brothers in the Church is acknowledged as useful and valid.
History in Africa
The Brothers of the Holy Family of Burkina Faso, were born in the Apostolic Vicariate of Ouagadougou, in the parish of St Paul of Guilongou with a group of catechists students in 1945. The first profession was held on 8 January, 1950, they were 5 Brothers in the first Community of Guilongou. On 12 February, 1952, the Postulancy of the Brothers is moved to Sâaba, some 15 from Ouagadougou. The years 1952-1958 were a hard period for the Brothers. The spiritual background was faulty and no Fathers were willing to take care truly of the formation of the future Brothers. Bishop Soquet, the Bishop of Ouagadougou, addressed then to the Superior General of the Brothers of the Holy Family of Belley, Brother Tharcisius, asking for help.
On 3 October, 1958, Brother Camille MERCIER (France), Brother Sylvester PIA (Italy), and Brother Alonso RODRÍGUEZ (Spain) reach Ouagadougou. They took soon charge of the formation of the Brothers, of the organization of the Communities and of the different activities in order to give new life to the young Congregation. On 2 February, 1959, Rome signed a decree of the merging (No. 1640/58) between the two Congregations. This union brought dynamism and trust; it was noticed especially in the identity, the apostolate, the vocation and the formation. The three elder Brothers were John-Baptist BUNKUNGU, John-Mary KOALGA and Louis BAZIE, who after three months of novitiate in the Institute of the Brothers of Belley, were admitted to make perpetual profession in the same Institute on 30 March, 1959. From now on, the Congregation of the Brothers of the Holy Family of Belley, founded by Brother Gabriel TABORIN, was rooted in the African land, in a Mission land, having Sâaba as the main House.
Mission of the Communities
The Brothers of the Holy Family in African lands have been always sensitive to the vocations and formation of the Brothers. Concerning the pastoral work, their effort has been to care for the needs of the education of the youth, both formal education and non-formal education, also in the professional formation as well as the formation of catechists. The different Communities of the Province respond to these different concerns.
- Religiousformation: Community of Sâaba.
- Education in schools: Sâaba, Moukassa, EGT, St Anne of Nanoro, Holy Family of Pissy, Wend Manegda and Holy Family of Tanguiéta.
- Education in social centres: Goundi, Laafi-Ziiga, Roulou.
- Professional and technical formation: Fada N’Gourma, Establishment Gabriel Taborin, St Anne of Nanoro, CFPP of Saba and centre Holy Family of Sâaba.
- Formation of catechists: Imasgo, Gyalguenou, Namoungou.
- Community in Mission (care for the Shrine): Ars (France).
- Collaboration with the Bishops’ Conference of Burkina: University Saint Thomas of Aquinas (USTA) /Sâaba.
- Welcoming Centres: Welcoming Centre Notre Dame de Lorette (Ougadougou), Welcoming Centre « Foyer Sylvester PIA » (Laafi Ziiga), Foyer Saint Anne 2011 (Nanoro).
- Mission ‘ad gentes’: To promote new vocations and to enculturate the charism of Br. Gabriel Taborin in new foundations: Community of Tamale (Ghana) and Community of Tanguietá (Benin). Missionary presence of Brothers in France, Philippines and Indonesia.
To promote the culture of vocations in the aspirancy and in the schools.
The initial, religious and professional formation of the Brothers.
To continue new foundations in Africa (English as well as French speaking countries).
To reinforce the Inculturation of the Religious Life in Africa.
|PROVINCIAL COUNCIL : 2022 -2025|
|Provincial Superior||Bro Julien Zoungrana|
|1st Counselor||Bro Mauro Romano|
|2nd Counselor||Bro Victor Sawadogo|
|3rd Counselor||Bro Honoré Ouédraogo|
|4th Counselor|| Bro Timothée Baki
|5th Counselor||Bro Vittorio Sarnico|
|House of Retreat. “Gabriel Taborin House”: Welcoming to people, groups… who wish to know our venerable Founder.|
|Animation of the Sanctuary, welcome and animation of groups of pilgrims.|
|“Institution Saint Louis ”. Education. Pastoral activities.|
|“Educational Complex Charles de Foucauld”. Under the ownership of the Brothers of the Holy Family. Educational and pastoral activities.|
|* Villa Brea (Chieri)||1903|
|Provincial House. Missionary Group. Gymnastic centre. Welcoming of groups. Relics of the Holy Priest of Ars.|
|“Holy Family School”: Education. Pastoral activity.|
|Parish Activity and Theological formation.|
Diocesan school for catechists. Closed in 2022 because of terrorism
|Formation House (aspirancy, novitiate, scholasticate). “Centre Holy Family”. Workshop of metal carpentry which produces the “Volanta” Pump. “St Joseph School”.|
|Headquarters of the Province. Centre of Welcome Notre Dame of Lorette. “Attention to the merchants of the market” and students Brothers in University.|
|“School Joseph Moukassa”. Primary, Secondary, Intermediate. Pastoral Work in school and in the other schools of the area.|
|School of Catechists of the Diocese of Koudougou.|
|* Goundi-Laafi Ziiga||1966|
|Centres of Vocational Training with youth with difficulties and offer them a formation: mechanic, welding, agriculture and livestock, etc.“Home Sylvester Pia”: Welcome of university students.|
|“Saint Anne High Professional School” (1994) with specialities in agronomy and zootechny. Missionary cooperation in rural area. Primary School.|
|* Fada N’Gourma||1994|
|“Centre of Vocational Training”: mechanics, electricity… “School” of Primary and Secondary. Pastoral Work.|
|“School Wendmanegda”. Primary, Secondary and Intermediate. Pastoral Work.|
|“School Gabriel Taborin”: Primary, Secondary, Intermediate. Vocational Training: Mechanics, auto electronics… Pastoral Activities.Centre of welding and mechanics, garage.|
|Collaboration with diocese. Catechesis, radio, workshop.Pastoral animation in school and parish.|
|* CFC – Gyalguen||2001|
|School of Catechists. Technical Centre.|
|* Pîisy (Ouaga)||2001|
|“School Holy Family”. Primary, Secondary, Intermediate.Pastoral Activities.|
|Centre of Pastoral Formation and Professional Formation of Teachers. Management of the Catholic University St Thomas of Aquinas.|
|Diocesan school for catechists. Closed in 2022 because of terrorism|
|“School Father Chazal” Secondary School. Vocation Promotion and Pastoral of Families.|
|Closed for years, it has been reopened in 2022.|